We are 90% finished with a new play area for our kids in our own backyard! After removing trees and building a retaining wall, my husband spent nights and weekends for about 2 weeks building this amazing play set for the kids!
Since it has a clubhouse, I thought it needed a little décor! So I starting thinking about what type of banner I could make that would be quick and cute! I could cut triangles and sew a pennant banner – cute but not that quick – then I realized that my fabric scrap bin is overflowing and I could totally make a quick and cute banner from them!
1. Gather your supplies: Scissors or Pinking Shears, yarn or string, FABRIC scraps!!
2. Measure out the yarn/string to see how long you want your banner. I measured the inside of the playhouse and made sure the banner would fit where I wanted to hang it.
3. Start cutting! Cutting with pinking shears (the scissors with the little alligator teeth) helps with the fraying but it doesn’t really matter – with this banner the fraying adds charm. Cut strips of fabric about 1-1/2″ to 2″ wide and 10″ to 15″ long. You do not have to be exact. You can always trim later, but having the different lengths looks cute too.
I cut a rainbow of colors! You will need a lot – I think for my banner, I used 100 strips of fabric.
4. Organize by color or just throw them all in a bag and get ready to tie!
5. Tie the strips on the yarn/string. I found it easier to lay the yarn across my lap, make a loop with the fabric and run the end of the yarn through the loop and then tighten. I started in the middle and worked towards one end, when I got close to the end, I switched to the other side. I just tied a single knot, pulled tight and moved the fabric around so it looked good.
6. Hang it up!! In the playhouse, play room – anywhere you need some color and cuteness!